Running the data centres successfully is critical because of the intimate dependency on the integrity of data processing. Hiring data centre consultants can be of great help, whether it is to address capacity constraints, build a new data centre facility, improve energy efficiency to save costs, create a disaster recovery plan, or to assess the operations of an existing facility.
Many organisations have internal staff in charge of the networking, computing, electrical and mechanical aspects. However, if not in the organisation’s core competency, there is likely a “data center skills gap” putting best practices and new innovations out of reach. For this, a data centre consultant can be of tremendous benefit.
So what can a data centre consultant do for you?
A data centre consultant can help you focus on the bigger picture and ascertain the best options for your business, identifying ways to reduce costs, complexity and risk. A data centre consultant can:
- Deliver a Business Impact Analysis or Disaster Recovery Plan
- Train or develop training content for data centre personnel
- Identify energy savings opportunities
- Assess and benchmark data centre operations
- Create and manage RFPs for data centre colocation or outsourcing services
Furthermore, they can advise on latest trends and industry best practices. With their experience and knowledge, they can help anticipate and avoid pitfalls as you execute your data centre strategy.
The advantages of hiring data centre consultants
- Best solutions – A data centre consultant has the latest information about current trends, best delivery mechanisms, latest pricing models, they know the best vendors to consult and are abreast with best practices in IT. Their experience is not limited to one enterprise, but they bring in their expertise of managing other data centres to offer a ‘best-of-all’ solution and help make effective decisions.
- Reduced impact to resources – Splitting your team’s time between their daily deliverables and simultaneously focusing on the data centre project can take away from the services levels you are expected to maintain or the deadlines you’re expected to meet with the data centre project. This is where the Data Centre Consultants can be of huge help. They are masters at getting the data centre project completed in time within budget while your resources can stay focused on their daily tasks and maintain customer satisfaction.
- Independent Assessment – Independent, unbiased, vendor-neutral assessments are key to making informed decisions, giving you the real picture because they turn up hidden information that is not obvious at the first glance. Such information may help you derive advantages from your enterprise that was earlier not available or visible and possibly even help you get ahead in the game.
In short, the consultative approach and an independent perspective that a data centre consultant brings in can help you manage mission critical environments successfully.
By Staff Writer